Friday, June 24, 2011

Gardening 101 ~ Favorite Perennials

Welcome to Gardening 101.
Where I share tips and techniques learned from my green thumb Mother and Grandmother.
My thumb tends to be a little black so I

happily accept any help that I can get!


Today is all about some of my absolute favorite perennials {plants that come back year after year}.  Most of my flower beds are planted with perennial shrubs or bulbs.  They are extremely low maintenance and good bang for your buck.


Here are a few favorites this spring:
Iris
Very hardy bulb ~ there are a bajillion varieties.


Lady's Mantle
Water beads beautifully on the leaves.


Silver Mound
Extemely hardy in an arid climate.
I get lots of compliments on this shrub.






Bleading Heart

Gorgeous flowers in the spring.


Periwinkle
Fantastic ground cover ~ spreads everywhere
{even places that you don't want it to go}.


Peony
Before


Peony
Gigantic blooms ~ mine often flop over.



Clematis
Great cover for a trellis or arbor. 
Blooms all summer.




If you would like the variety or latin name for these just let me know and I can get them for you.  Back in University I studied Plant Biology and can still quote the Latin name for some plants quicker than the common name.  Oplopanux horridus had always been one that stuck with me.  It's the highly toxic Devil's Club. 


Thanks for visiting! 




p.s. I had to call my Mom for some plant ID help. 
"Mom, what's that purple flowered ground cover again?"  LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment